Shift Leaders - Falling Rock Cafe and Bookstore
Position Summary Falling Rock Cafe and Bookstore: Works closely with manager and owner to oversee counter staff employees.
Primary Responsibilities: Are not limited to, and may include all or some of the responsibilities listed below:
· Observes employees at their designated stations and working on assigned tasks to ensure efficient and accurate completion of assigned duties
· Directs employees through their daily routines
· Provides immediate feedback to employees who are deviating from assigned tasks and/or not completing tasks efficiently or accurately
· Communicates with manager and owner to share employee successes and customer’s positive feedback
· Describe any immediate or chronic difficulties with employees completing assigned tasks efficiently or accurately
· Provides training to new employees
· Provides education to employees who are demonstrating the need for review on instructions for assigned tasks
· Communicates with employees at beginning of shifts to assign designated tasks
· Communicates with employees throughout shifts to delegate/adjust tasks as needed
· Communicates with employees at end of shift to ensure responsibilities are completed before clocking out.
· Interacts with customers to inquire about and ensure a satisfactory experience.
· Assists employees with solving customer inquiries and/or complaints
· Assists employees with solving any problems with Point of Sale/payment transactions
Knowledge and Skills
· Courteousness is a must. Friendly approach with customers.
· Ability to work quickly and provide fast service.
· Able to work in fast paced environment without becoming overwhelmed or frazzled
· Being a team player is essential. Must know how to work effectively with others, collaborate easily
· Positive demeanor/Good at keeping employees motivated
· Effective listening and communication skills
· Must be able to make quick decisions, difficult decisions, resolve conflicts
· Flexibility and adaptability
· Strong in delegation skills
· Proficiency in all tasks and responsibilities of counter staff and late night cleaning crew in order to be able to fill in as needed
· Reliability, punctual for shifts, conscientious
· Skills in teaching/describing/explaining new skills to employees
Essential Physical Requirements
· Ability to stand and or walk during entire shift
· Shifts vary from 6-10 hour shifts, with a typical shift 8 hours long.
· Shift start times vary and may begin early morning, mid-day, early afternoon, or late afternoon.
· May need to reach, bend, and stoop frequently
· Able to carry up to 20 lbs over short or medium distances
The Falling Rock Café and Bookstore is one of the highest rated restaurants in the Munising area on TripAdvisor and Yelp! In addition to our diverse food menu, large ice cream selection and full range of coffee and espresso drinks, the Falling Rock has an inventory of 30,000+ new, used, and rare books, sells the works of multiple UP and Michigan artisans, hosts live music and other events several times a week, and is affectionately referred to as “Munising’s Living Room”.
You can learn more by reviewing our website at www.fallingrockcafe.com, Facebook page, TripAdvisor reviews, or Yelp reviews. Falling Rock Café and Bookstore is located in Munising, on the shores of Lake Superior in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Munising is the gateway community to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Hiawatha National Forest and is thus a very busy tourist destination for travelers from all over the world as well as being a favorite of locals. We have strong following of regulars, seasonal residents, passers-through, and tourists who are new to the area or who return time and time again. After you have visited us once, you are our friend for life!
Employees gain experience in food service, retail, business, hospitality, and tourism and learn new skills in food preparation, ice cream service, barista skills, collaboration and teamwork, prioritization, management, communication, detail awareness, customer satisfaction, and multi-tasking. This is the perfect position for college students majoring in business, hospitality, food service or new college graduates seeking a position where they will gain a wide variety of skills as well as others seeking new adventures and the desire to thrive in a positive environment. Munising is the perfect location for people who are active, love the outdoors in any season and love the national park system. Munising has the charm of a sleepy small town but also the hustle and bustle of a busy tourist destination.
We are seeking individuals with a hard working mind set, ability to function in a fast paced environment, who enjoy creating a friendly, positive environment for customers and thrive in a team centered approach.
Retail or food service experience a plus but not required.
Pay is competitive and tips are an added bonus on top of competitive wage.
Seeking both full and part time employees
Possible housing available and may be included in compensation.
Shift start times vary and may begin early morning, mid-day, early afternoon, or late afternoon. Late night cleaning crew shifts start at approximately 10 pm.