Counter Staff-Falling Rock Cafe and Bookstore
Position Summary-Falling Rock Cafe and Bookstore: Serving customers in our #1 rated Trip Advisor, non-franchise, fast-paced café and bookstore. Work in a collaborative team to assist customers with food and beverage choices, book and art purchases, and assist in creating a positive experience for customers arriving for live music and other special events.
Major Responsibilities: Are not limited to, and may include all or some of the responsibilities listed below:
· Greeting customers and introducing them to Falling Rock Café and Bookstore
· Assisting guests with selection of food and drink items. Describes menu items such as soups, salads, sandwiches, breakfast items, local specialties, grab and go items, lattes, cappuccinos, and other hot and cold drinks
· Answers questions and assists customers with special inquiries and dietary requirements
· Using Point of Sale system to transmit food and drink orders to kitchen, and complete payment transactions
· Assembles food items, such as soups, salads, sandwiches, breakfast items and local specialties. Shares preparation space and communicates with other employees to execute accurate timing of hot and cold food items.
· Grinding and measuring coffee beans to use in preparation of brewed coffee
· Functions as a barista, preparing coffee drinks, espresso, lattes, cappuccinos, mochas and other specialty drinks
· Scooping ice cream, preparing sundaes, shakes, malts. Offering samples to new customers. Restocking ice cream tubs when empty. Labeling ice cream cooler with ice cream flavors. Describes ice cream flavors to customers.
· Delivering orders to customers in dining room. Inquires as to customer satisfaction and assists with delivery of any necessary condiments
· Assisting customers with purchases of other items such as books and local art
· Bussing dining room tables
· Washing dishes, sweeping, mopping, cleaning bathrooms, and other cleaning tasks
· Putting away new inventory. Packaging bulk foods into smaller quantities for ease in food preparation and to ensure food safety.
· Restock cooler with cold drinks, and grab and go items. Restock all paper supplies such as cups, lids, utensils.
· Assisting customers with questions about local sites of interest, nearby tourist destinations, areas where they can view sites of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and Hiawatha National Forest
· Assisting management with setting up for live music events, large group functions, and other special events
Knowledge and Skills
· Ability to multi-task and not become overwhelmed in fast paced environments.
· Flexibility; Ability to be comfortable with changes in assigned tasks
· Thrives in team centered approach
· Energetic, positive manner
· Hard working mind set
· Professional manner; on time, follows directions, complies with company rules
· Enjoys interacting with customers
· Customer service oriented; able to solve problems and resolve conflicts
· Skills in organization, time management, and prioritization
· Retail or food experience a plus but not required
Essential Physical Requirements
· Ability to stand and or walk during entire shift
· Shifts vary from 6-10 hour shifts, with a typical shift 8 hours long.
· Shift start times vary and may begin early morning, mid-day, early afternoon, or late afternoon.
· May need to reach, bend, and stoop frequently
The Falling Rock Café and Bookstore is one of the highest rated restaurants in the Munising area on TripAdvisor and Yelp! In addition to our diverse food menu, large ice cream selection and full range of coffee and espresso drinks, the Falling Rock has an inventory of 30,000+ new, used, and rare books, sells the works of multiple UP and Michigan artisans, hosts live music and other events several times a week, and is affectionately referred to as “Munising’s Living Room”.
You can learn more by reviewing our website at www.fallingrockcafe.com, Facebook page, TripAdvisor reviews, or Yelp reviews. Falling Rock Café and Bookstore is located in Munising, on the shores of Lake Superior in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Munising is the gateway community to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Hiawatha National Forest and is thus a very busy tourist destination for travelers from all over the world as well as being a favorite of locals. We have strong following of regulars, seasonal residents, passers-through, and tourists who are new to the area or who return time and time again. After you have visited us once, you are our friend for life!
Employees gain experience in food service, retail, business, hospitality, and tourism and learn new skills in food preparation, ice cream service, barista skills, collaboration and teamwork, prioritization, management, communication, detail awareness, customer satisfaction, and multi-tasking. This is the perfect position for college students majoring in business, hospitality, food service or new college graduates seeking a position where they will gain a wide variety of skills as well as others seeking new adventures and the desire to thrive in a positive environment. Munising is the perfect location for people who are active, love the outdoors in any season and love the national park system. Munising has the charm of a sleepy small town but also the hustle and bustle of a busy tourist destination.
We are seeking individuals with a hard working mind set, ability to function in a fast paced environment, who enjoy creating a friendly, positive environment for customers and thrive in a team centered approach.
Retail or food service experience a plus but not required.
Pay is competitive and tips are an added bonus on top of competitive wage.
Seeking both full and part time employees
Possible housing available and may be included in compensation.
Shift start times vary and may begin early morning, mid-day, early afternoon, or late afternoon. Late night cleaning crew shifts start at approximately 10 pm.